all started way back in 1894 when 22 young men decided to form a volunteer fire
company in Stony Point. Their first
move was to purchase a hand drawn hose cart with 500 feet of hose.
They had no quarters and the hose cart was kept in a barn.
Then in 1897 they moved into a brick firehouse on the south side of West
Main Street opposite Allison Hall, which was then the town hall. Time marches
on! A new two story firehouse was constructed on the west side of
Route 9W and the company moved in 1955. The
community was growing and the need for better fire protection on the south side
of the bridge prompted the purchasing of Station No. 2, on the west side of
Central Highway, which was opened in 1974.
Over the years the company has been furnished with motor driven fire
apparatus, starting with a Studebaker hose and chemical truck in 1918.
Today there are three pieces of equipment housed in the main firehouse
and four in Station No. 2, ranging from brush, engines and emergency trucks to a
75 foot aerial. The company also
has an underwater rescue and swift water team equipped with 2 motor driven
boats. All this a far cry from the
old hand drawn hose cart, which we have preserved and still possess today.
More to come......
(Below) January 20, 1965 Inaugural Parade